The Institute of Medical Virology and Epidemiology of Viral Diseases under the directorship of Prof. Dr. Thomas Iftner is an independent division within the Department of Diagnostic Laboratory Medicine at the University Hospital Tübingen.
Our Institute represents the subject Virology
- in basic and clinical research
- in teaching for students of Human and Dental Medicine, Molecular Medicine, Nursing Science and Biochemistry, as well as Biology and Bioinformatics
- in patient care in the form of comprehensive diagnostics of human pathogenic viruses, specialist counselling for doctors and the training of medical specialists and specialist virologists.
The Institute also harbors
- the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) consultant laboratory for Cytomegalovirus (Prof. Dr. Dr. Klaus Hamprecht)
- the Research Section “Molecular Virology” (Prof. Dr. Michael Schindler)
- the Research Group “Papillomaviruses” (Prof. Dr. Thomas Iftner, Prof. Dr. Frank Stubenrauch; Dr. Claudia Simon)
- the Research Group “Mechanisms of Innate Antiviral Immunity“ (Prof. Dr. Daniel Sauter)