The Institute of Virology and Epidemiology of Viral Diseases headed by Prof. Dr. Thomas Iftner is an independent division within the Department of Diagnostic Laboratory Medicine at the University Hospital Tübingen.
Our institute represents the subject Virology
- in basic and clinical research
- in teaching for students of human and dental medicine, molecular medicine, midwifery and nursing science and biochemistry as well as biology and bioinformatics
- in patient care in the form of comprehensive diagnostics of human pathogenic viruses, expert advice to physicians, and training of medical specialists and specialist virologists.
- It is also home to the Cytomegalovirus Consiliary Laboratory.
- and the research section Molecular Virology (Prof. Dr. Michael Schindler).