Prof. Dr. Thirumalaisamy P. Velavan
Group leader - Molecular Genetics of Infectious diseases
Genetic factors of pathogens as well as those of the hosts decisively influence the phenotype of a disease and the immune response. A particular focus of our work is the genetic characterization of pathogens and human genetic factors.
- Infectious Diseases
- Molecular Genetics
- Genetic Epidemiology
- Hepatitis B, Hepatitis Delta and Hepatitis E
- Antimicrobial Resistances
The research group is comprised of medical doctors and scientists from Europe, Africa and Asia. All member of the group are highly motivated to improve health in developing and threshold countries through basic research on various infectious diseases and the establishment of advanced diagnostic techniques.
Genetic factors of pathogens as well as those of the hosts decisively influence the phenotype of a disease and the immune response. Therefore, a particular focus of our work is the genetic characterization of pathogens and human genetic factors. As a result, resistance and protection mechanisms as well as genetically determined predisposition to certain infectious diseases can be identified. We are dealing with viral and parasitic infections; especially with viral hepatitis as well as malaria, schistosomiasis and leishmaniasis. Members of the working group are intensively involved in tropical medicine teaching in Germany as well as in Vietnam.
The group leader Prof. Dr. Velavan is founder and the director of the Vietnamese-German Center for Medical Research (VG-CARE), in Hanoi, Vietnam (www.vgcare.org). He coordinates distinct projects on clinical trials, genetic epidemiology, surveillance program on anti-microbial resistances, infectious diseases diagnostics supported by funding bodies such as BMBF and DAAD Germany, and support from other international pharmaceutical firms and universities.
Join our team: The working language of the group is English. We always welcome motivated students, young scientists and doctoral students to join our team. Interested candidates should contact us via E-Mail.
Ausbildung & beruflicher Werdegang
- 03/2019Professor (außerplanmäßiger) an der Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen.
- 06/2016Habliitated as ‘Privatdozent’ Associate Professor, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tübingen, Human Parasitology; venia legendi
- 03/2015Certified and Qualified for Teaching in Medicine; Medizindidaktische Qualifikation I, Kompetenzzentrum für Hochschuldidaktik in Medizin Baden-Württemberg
- 01/2015Director at „Vietnamese-German Centre for Medical Research “ Hanoi, Vietnam (www.vgcare.org)
- 05/2011Group Leader ‘Molecular Genetics of Infectious Diseases’ Institute of Tropical Medicine, Universitätsklinikum Tübingen, Germany
- 10/2010 - 04/2011Junior Research group Institute of Tropical Medicine, Universitätsklinikum Tübingen
- 10/2008 – 09/2011Postdoctoral Researcher Institute of Tropical Medicine, Universitätsklinikum Tübingen.
- 04/2009Dr. rer. nat (Biologie), Universität Tübingen
- 08/2008 – 09/2008Postdoctoral Research Scientist Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Tübingen
- 07/2005 – 07/2008Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter, Faculty of Biology, Universität Tübingen, Germany
- 07/2004 – 06/2005Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter, Faculty of Biology - Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster
- 10/2002 – 05/2004Junior Research fellow, Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, India
- 06/2002Master of Science Microbiology
- 04/2000Bachelor of Science Immunology
Preise & Auszeichnungen
- Honorary Professor, 108 Institute of Clinical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Hanoi, Vietnam (since 01/2018)
- Visiting Professor, Faculty of Medicine, Duy Tan University, Da Nang, Vietnam (since 09/2017).
- Visiting Professor, Vietnam Military Medical University, Hanoi, Vietnam (since 03/2016).
- Scientific Coordinator (President du Conseil Scientifique) Fondation Congolaise pour la Recherche Médicale, Brazzaville, Republic of Congo (since 04/2014)
- Young Scientist Award for the year 2013 - Biosciences (Infectious diseases)- conferred by the National Academy of Biological Sciences, India
- Editorial board: Nature Scientific reports; Tropical Medicine and International Health and BMC Medical Genetics.
- Zur vollständigen Publikationsliste
- ESCMID: European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
- EASL: European Association for the Study of the Liver
- DTG: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Tropenmedizin und Internationale Gesundheit
- ICS: International Complement Society
- HDIN: Hepatitis Delta International Network
- FNABS: Fellow of the National Academy of Biological Sciences