To protect our patients and employees
The University Eye Hospital Tübingen offers the spectrum of maximum care for the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the eye, the ocular adnexa, the optic nerve and the visual pathway.
Every year, 60,000 patients receive advice and treatment in the outpatient clinics and consultations. The Eye Clinic performs 20,000 outpatient and inpatient operations annually.
Together with a team of experienced senior medical colleagues, the Eye Clinic is headed by Prof. Dr. Bartz-Schmidt.
Department of Ophthalmology Tübingen - ImpressionsWatch video
Management and medical and scientific staff
Prof. Dr. med. Karl Ulrich Bartz-Schmidt
data and numbers
Published in Nature Communications
Funktionsdiagnostik und Neuro-Ophthalmologie - Bereits ausgebucht
Please report to the patient registration desk on site, even in an emergency. If this is not open, please contact the gate Tel. 07071 29-88088.
However, if possible, please contact the ophthalmological emergency service in case of ophthalmological emergencies.
Range of services
The eye clinic offers patients medical care tailored to their individual needs and has new forms of treatment and surgical techniques at its disposal so that highly complex operations can be performed.
- Lamellar and perforating corneal transplants (certified corneal bank), Boston KP
- Filtration and (micro-) implant assisted glaucoma surgery
- Complicated cataract surgery, secondary artificial lens implantation, intraocular lens exchange
- Episcleral hump surgery and vitrectomy for retinal detachment, repeat procedures for complicated re-detachment
- Removal of epiretinal membranes for gliosis and macular holes
- Reconstructive surgery for severe eye injuries, iris reconstruction or replacement
- Periocular surgery of the lids, lacrimal ducts and adnexa
- Surgical correction of strabismus of the eye
- Barchytherapy of intraocular tumors (intraocular lymphoma, choroidal melanoma, retinoblastoma)
- Subretinal gene therapy (LUXTURNA®)
Further focal points
- Planning and conducting basic and clinical research
Make an appointment
The University Eye Hospital is difficult to reach by telephone due to the high number of calls. Please understand for longer waiting times until reaching the corresponding consultation hour. It is also possible to make an appointment in the consultation hours and outpatient clinics by e-mail, online contact form or fax.
Referring clinics and practices can also register via a special fax form.
Information about the stay
Information for patients
Here you can find out how to register with us, how outpatient treatment and your stay with us works or what you should bring with you for an inpatient stay.
Information for medical
Our medical colleagues can inform themselves here about current topics and further training from the eye clinic and subscribe to our newsletter.
- Further education, congresses and conferences
- Research and Clinical Studies
- Publications of the Eye Clinic
- Newsletter for ophthalmologists
- Cornea Bank and Ophthalmopathology Laboratory
- Information for applicants
Center of Excellence and Science
In its structure as a Department of Ophthalmology, the University Eye Hospital together with the Institute for Ophthhalmic Research researches eye diseases and develops new therapeutic methods. For the Department of Ophthalmology, 15 research groups and two sections are investigating different aspects of ophthalmology. Planning and conducting preclinical and clinical research are as much a part of the expertise of the clinic as the implementation of innovative developments of new therapeutic procedures.
The Department is one of the thirteen medical centres of excellence in the state of Baden-Württemberg and the only one of its kind for ophthalmology.
Donations and sponsoring
Scientific research is personnel and material cost intensive. Although the majority of the research funds of the Tübingen University Eye Hospital come from third-party funding (DFG, foundations, industry), donations are indispensable for many reasons.
- Donations Vision100
- Research and teaching in Malawi
- Visual Rehabilitation
Certificates and Associations
Focus: Top Nationales Krankenhaus 2020
Kooperation für Transparenz und Qualität im Gesundheitswesen
Qualitätspartnerschaft mit der PKV
Die Altersvorsorge für den Öffentlichen Dienst